Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Buckfield, ME to Damariscotta, ME 62 Miles July 29

Carol and I left Buckfield feeling strong and positive after being over the ¨big" climbs which show on our map elevation profile. Our first stop was in Turner Center at Nezinscot Farm. This is a working organic farm where they have a herd of about 300 dairy cows and make their own cheese. I had to sample and buy the GreGarian, amazingly delicious. They also had low bush organic Maine blueberries, the sweetest I have ever had. Carol and I also drooled over their beautiful hand spun, loom woven woolen goods. We tore ourselves away because we were expected to arrive in Damariscotta to stay with Marjorie Swett and I had given her an estimated arrival time of 3:00 PM, thinking we would arrive by 2:00 PM.

At 11:00 AM we still have 35 miles to ride and the climbing began in earnest. We planned to take a break in Litchfield five miles down the road, but we came to one steep hill after the next and in Litchfield I needed a bathroom urgently. Unfortunately the small store answered my request with ¨itś broken¨. I went across the street to be told, amidst three hysterical poodles, ¨Itś flooded¨. Finally at the hardware store, they told me they did have a Ladies room, but no one ever used it, but I was welcome to. It did work.

Back on the road we had a flatter section of road before the climbs came back with a vengeance. I was so tired, I would see a hill up ahead and just begin laughing hysterically, all the way in to Damariscotta where we arrived at 3:35 PM. Marjorie Swett met us at the Baptist Church, where we locked our bicycles inside and Marjorie drove us to her home at Round Pond. Round Pond is a salt water harbor 11 miles off of our route which is used by commercial lobster fishermen as well as recreational boaters.

Marjorie welcomed us to her beautiful home that her husband designed and built for their retirement. Carol and I enjoyed the huge windows overlooking the harbor with its resident Loon, Great Blue Herons, and undeveloped tree covered islands. After a delicious dinner, Carol and I talked and felt that after such a tough ride and looking at two more tough riding days, we would like a day off. Marjorie generously welcomed us for a second day.

We woke up to see the sun rise over the harbor and hear the loons calling. We had a lovely picnic after touring the Pemaquid Lighthouse. This is such an icon of Maine, that it was chosen as the symbol to grace the back of the Maine quarter coin. This is our first rest day since Niagara Falls and we are thoroughly pleased with our decision.

After resting and being hypnotised by the beautiful shore view, Marjorie prepared another lovely dinner for us, before driving us back to the church in Damariscotta to spend the night. We did not want to impose on Marjorie to drive us back to town before dawn to start our ride to Searsport.

The church was quiet, except for the chiming of a clock every hour and half hour. At 9:00 PM after nine chimes, I decided to see what I could do about the clock. I was able to stop the pendulum, and sleep uninterrupted. However, in the morning the fear and guilt began. I was sure someone would see the clock stopped at 9:00 PM and know those bicyclists had done damage to the clock. But after a little bit of examining, I was able to reset the clock correctly and continue on with a clear conscience.

No comments: