Monday, July 28, 2008

Center Conway, NH to Buckfield, ME 46 Miles

Carol and I enjoyed Sue's company early this morning as we ate breakfast and organized all our possessions in plastic bags. This is how we deal with life on the road. Plastic bags keep us organized as well as protecting our STUFF from the elements.

We celebrated again as we crossed the border into Freyburg, Maine. Even though our route today did not involve mountain climbs, we still had ominous hills. One hill forced us to get off and walk. I wanted so badly to keep pedaling, but when I looked up and saw how far it was to the top, I just put my foot down and said, "It's not worth it, I'll walk." Even the trucks were straining getting up Waterford Hill Rd. We knew there was an even bigger climb ahead so when we reached the town of South Paris at the foot of the climb, Carol and I debated whether or not to continue on, or quit for the day and save the climb for when we would be fresh and cool tomorrow morning. Also, we had no idea where we would stay in the tiny town of Buckfield as people we spoke to were not encouraging about us finding any accommodations.

In the meantime I had made calls from the contacts Sue Davidson had given me. Reverend Stephen McCloud offered us a place in his church in Searsport. When I asked if he had any contacts in Buckfield he said he would get back to me. While Carol and I were discussing "The Climb", I heard back from Reverend Eva K. Thompson of the Buckfield Community Church. She enthusiastically offered the church to us for the night and we decided to push on up Streaked Mountain Road.

We did approximately six miles of climbing and never had to walk, though we did have to make a good effort. We arrived in town just before 1:30 PM feeling thrilled to have the climb behind us and a place to stay for the night. Reverend Eva drove the half hour from her home to open up the church and give us fresh towels and soap so we could enjoy a hot shower in the church. We were ecstatic. Eva told us to make ourselves at home and enjoy Buckfield. We are. There is a little grocery store across the street, a library with a fast Internet connection and a lovely river which flows through the center of town.

Reverend Eva even went back home and set up a contact for us for tomorrow night in Damariscotta.

Life is good in Maine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Barbara: I've been "lurking" on your blog almost every day -- but when I miss a day (or two) I catch up, so have followed your whole journey. what a great story and great memory you have made -- congrats to all of you on getting to the end of this trek.

Joel
fellow Valley-ite